Re: [rdiff-backup-users] one more bug in rdiff-backup-1.1.16

From: Farkas Levente
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] one more bug in rdiff-backup-1.1.16
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:54:35 +0200

Andrew Ferguson wrote:

On Jun 24, 2008, at 6:27 AM, Farkas Levente wrote:
yes, but the strange thing if i backup with:
rdiff-backup --force -v5 --print-statistics --ssh-no-compression --include-globbing-filelist /etc/rdiff-backup/filelist/windows / /srv/backup/windows

Ok, right here you have a problem.

Do NOT specify the "--force" option unless you are willing to let your repository be destroyed. I added a bigger warning about it to the manpage in 1.1.16. Please, please, please do not run your scripts with that option. :-/

Would you be willing to try 1.1.16 one more time and see if it produces the exact problem in the same way? This problem is really bugging me. I have been over all of the changes since 1.1.15 and nothing more jumps out at me.

sorry for the delay, but i was very busy in this week. so 1.1.15 is working all the week and i made 2 different backup of the rdiff-backup directory so now i can play with it a bit.
- i run rdiff-backup-1.1.15 again, then
- install 1.1.16 and run exactly the same script again.
first of all it takes very long! it seem it need to backup everything for some reason when nothing change. it's all such lines:
Processing changed file mnt/windows/f/shared/Rajzok/2003/SDIH2
Incrementing mirror file /srv/backup/windows/mnt/windows/f/shared/Rajzok/2003/SDIH2
Processing changed file mnt/windows/f/shared/Rajzok/2003/SDIH2/Adaptalas
Incrementing mirror file /srv/backup/windows/mnt/windows/f/shared/Rajzok/2003/SDIH2/Adaptalas Processing changed file mnt/windows/f/shared/Rajzok/2003/SDIH2/Adaptalas/Eredeti
which means it's runs more than 12 hours on machine with multicore p4 3ghz with 1gb ram (and the machine do nothing else!) and still not finished. may be tomorrow...

I have also setup a Windows XP SP2 box with Unicode files and am actively testing the latest Linux CIFS to see if I can reproduce your problem with 1.1.16, but so far I cannot. What server are you using? Vista? Windows 2003? I have access to all versions via the research network, so just specify.

win2003 for small business server hungarian.
but i don't know how can i find out which char encoding used by the filesystem names:-(

$ uname -r
2.6.24-16-server

(fresh Ubuntu 8.04)

my linux server is s centos-5.2 (aka rhel-5.2) fully updated.