[rdiff-backup-users] Status of native Windows port?

From: ahd71
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Status of native Windows port?
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 07:39:16 -0400

Hi,

I was having problem with the new native rdiff-backup in windows to contact to
a remote linux host - now it works after some research.

I was missing two things, first of all, i didn't use %s in the commandline
below and instead used a "hardcoded" servername which didn't work (syntax
error).
Secondly I didn't understood that with the default schema rdiff-backup assumes
there it is a ssh.exe availible which i don't have.

Instead of ssh.exe I use plink.exe which comes from the same source as the
famous ssh/telnet client "putty" does.
(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html).

I used puttygen.exe (also found on the same place) to generate a keypair for
sshlogin to work without using username/password. Save the private key in a
file to be used when rdiff-backup is invoked and save the public key (cut and
paste) on the server in .ssh/authorized_keys. If this is configured correctly
"plink.exe -i privatekey.ppk address@hidden" should log you in without any
prompts for username or password.

Use rdiff-backup with the syntax below: (replace servernames, and path's)

rdiff-backup-1.2.0-win32.exe -v5 --print-statistics --remote-schema "plink.exe
-i privatekey.ppk %s rdiff-backup --server" address@hidden::/path c:\localpath

Good luck out there, I hope this helps someone as this wasn't clearly written
anywhere where i searched anyway.

BR / ahd71