Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Any plans for Amazon S3 support?

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Any plans for Amazon S3 support?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 04:37:27 +0100 (BST)

Hi Greg,

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Greg Freemyer wrote:

> I've been deleting the articles about most of the Amazon Cloud instead
> of reading them, so a couple questions if you happen to know.
>
> I gather the ECC is basically a virtual server with a full OS
> installation?  (I currently have one on those at a provider that I run
> our company website on.)

Yes, effectively. My understanding is that the storage is NOT persistent,
unlike most virtual and real servers, but you can put snapshots of the
system into S3 or EBS, and with EBS you can efficiently update those
snapshots.

> If so, could I consolidate my current webserver virtual Server and
> then add on the EBS storage to backup our fileservers to it?

I think so, yes.

> Not sure how the ECC is priced, but EBS includes per i/o pricing. Would
> that be a lot for a rdiff-backup backend server?

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sc_fe_c_1_3435361_1?ie=UTF8&node=689343011&no=3435361&me=A36L942TSJ2AJA

$0.50 per GB and $0.10 per million I/O requests. Doesn't sound too bad to
me.

However, this is not truly persistent storage. For that, you'd need to
snapshot it to S3 and pay the charges for that as well.

> Also, is anyone already doing something like this?  Personally, I use
> rdiff-backup to a local drive, then rsync the whole repository offsite
> to a online storage vendor.  I'm currently paying about $75/month for
> 250GB of repository.

Not yet with rdiff-backup, but I know someone who is using ECC and testing
S3 and EBS with Box Backup, and I'm planning to do the same.

Cheers, Chris.
--
\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |