[rdiff-backup-users] Adding SHA1Digest to existing backup

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Adding SHA1Digest to existing backup
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 00:09:07 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I have a number of rdiff-backup repo's that started quite a while ago. With the current version I'm using, changing (or newly added) files get an extra line in the metadata showing the SHA1 digest of the file. But older files that haven't changes in many months do not have this information in the metadata.

Is there a way to have rdiff-backup calculate these hashes for all files currently in the repo (only the current version would be enough; previous versions would just not have the checksum and be fine without it).

Background of this question is: if I use rsync to do the initial mirroring (which tends to be a lot faster than using rdiff-backup for the initial run), the initial rdiff-backup run sees that the file hasn't changed, leaves it untouched, and continues with the next file, etc. So initial SHA1Digest lines are never written. This results in repo's that aren't verify-able for files that didn't change since the start of the repo.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Maarten