Re: [rdiff-backup-users] errors installing 1.0.5

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] errors installing 1.0.5
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:26:42 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Bob,

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Bob Mead wrote:

 You need to install the python-dev or python-devel package.

Ugh... that brought a whole new list of packages (and problems :-\) it seems that my version of gnu/linux (fiesty era) doesn't have/can't find the repositories for several of the required packages/updates/upgrades.

Feisty is no longer supported, it's possible that the repositories have been withdrawn by now.

I tried apt's suggestion of adding the --fix-missing option to no avail. Is there another way to make this work? I *really* don't want to rebuild this server (actually, I'm not sure I *can* rebuild this server...).

Perils of using an unsupported distribution :( You could try to install python from source, but your machine is fundamentally busted without repositories to download software from. You can still get the ISOs from http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/feisty/, or change your apt config to use http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/.

Cheers, Chris.
--