Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error When Backing up to samba share on ubuntu

From: Nathan Aschbacher
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error When Backing up to samba share on ubuntu 8.10 via smbfs on Mac OS X
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 09:33:02 -0700

Hi Andrew,

Sorry for the delay. I tried to run it with 1.3.3 and here's what I got:

HotPlate:~ nathan$ rdiff-backup -v 5 ~/Desktop/ /Volumes/Insurance/ Backup/
Using rdiff-backup version 1.3.3
Unable to import module posix1e from pylibacl package.
POSIX ACLs not supported on filesystem at /Users/nathan/Desktop
Unable to import win32security module. Windows ACLs
not supported by filesystem at /Users/nathan/Desktop
Detected abilities for source (read only) file system:
  Access control lists                         Off
  Extended attributes                          On
  Windows access control lists                 Off
  Case sensitivity                             Off
  Escape DOS devices                           Off
  Escape trailing spaces                       Off
  Mac OS X style resource forks                On
  Mac OS X Finder information                  On
Warning: hard linking not supported by filesystem at /Volumes/ Insurance/Backup/rdiff-backup-data
Unable to import module posix1e from pylibacl package.
POSIX ACLs not supported on filesystem at /Volumes/Insurance/Backup/ rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0
Unable to import win32security module. Windows ACLs
not supported by filesystem at /Volumes/Insurance/Backup/rdiff-backup- data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0 Exception '[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Volumes/Insurance/ Backup/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/symlinked_file2'' raised of class '<type 'exceptions.OSError'>': File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/ python2.6/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 306, in error_check_Main
    try: Main(arglist)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/ python2.6/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 326, in Main
    take_action(rps)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/ python2.6/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 282, in take_action
    elif action == "backup": Backup(rps[0], rps[1])
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/ python2.6/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 336, in Backup
    rpout.conn.fs_abilities.backup_set_globals(rpin, force)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/ python2.6/site-packages/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line 959, in backup_set_globals
    dest_fsa = FSAbilities('destination').init_readwrite(Globals.rbdir)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/ python2.6/site-packages/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line 171, in init_readwrite
    subdir.delete()
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/ python2.6/site-packages/rdiff_backup/rpath.py", line 1070, in delete
    self.conn.shutil.rmtree(self.path)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/ python2.6/shutil.py", line 221, in rmtree
    onerror(os.remove, fullname, sys.exc_info())
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/ python2.6/shutil.py", line 219, in rmtree
    os.remove(fullname)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/rdiff-backup", line 30, in <module>
    rdiff_backup.Main.error_check_Main(sys.argv[1:])
[...]
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Volumes/Insurance/ Backup/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0/symlinked_file2'

Now the interesting thing is that I think I know what the problem is, but I have no idea how to fix it. When I run a little test like the following:

$ cd /Volumes/Insurance/Backup
$ touch src
$ ln -s src tgt
$ rm tgt
$ rm src

The "rm tgt" fails, well not exactly. It runs without an error the first time, but some kind of problem occurs on OS X where the file won't stay deleted, it immediately reappears. Once it reappears two problems occur. First, if you try to delete it again the system claims it doesn't exist, secondly any check that looks to see if the directory is empty will fail (because "ls" still returns tgt). The symlink "tgt" has to be delete by logging into the Samba server. If I connect to the same share from an Ubuntu desktop and try the same set of operations through the GUI it won't let me even create the symlink, claiming that the target volume doesn't support it. It seems like there's some very strange interaction occurring between Mac OS X and the Samba share. You gotta love Apple's spectacularly bad Samba implementation.

-Nathan