[rdiff-backup-users] VShadow on Windows XP

From: listserv . traffic
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] VShadow on Windows XP
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 10:23:26 -0700

Well, I spent some of yesterday getting shadow volumes to work on XP.

(They should work on XP, 2003 Server, and all flavors of Vista, IIRC
- the method I'm using should work on Vista home versions since the
volume shadow snapshot [vss] service is available on VH.)

If anyone wants this information I can document more clearly what
I've done, and package it so you can get at it.

It appears to work flawlessly with RDiff-Backup on a native windows
binary. (Haven't tried it with cygwin binary yet.) Open PSTs and
other "locked" files are handled nicely!

[I am using a bash script in cygwin to handle log parsing etc, just
not running the actual rdiff-backup cygwin binary. {yeah, I know, how
corrupt...:) Using bash to run a windows binary...<chuckle>} I'll
probably write it in Perl before I'm done, but I've got a really nice
bash script right now and I like it.]

This turns rdiff-backup into a very nice tool - IMO, enterprise grade.

Cheers,
Greg