[rdiff-backup-users] Force a regression of rdiff-backup archive

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Force a regression of rdiff-backup archive
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 12:09:27 +0100

I have a problem that a repository which 3 days ago occupied 26G has mushroomed to 44G. The reason is that one night the backup seems to have gone badly wrong, thinking the source data was missing, then the next night it was all okay again - so it generated lots of diffs for files that had gone and then I guess they all got stored in the clear again because they had reappeared as 'new' files. I know that these days 18G is not such a big deal but it happens to be a problem for me with my present media.

What I would like to do is remove these last few days of backups but without losing my earlier backups (which are valuable). The logical thing seems to be to force a regression of the backup (twice, say, to get back to the state before the first problem occurred), but there does not seem to be any way to force this to happen?

Can anyone suggest anything?

Dominic