Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What dirs can be excluded on a full linux imag

From: Billy Crook
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What dirs can be excluded on a full linux image?
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:23:34 -0500

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 00:32, bart<address@hidden> wrote:

> What directories can be excluded when doing a full linux backup image which
> could be restored and run on a new blank disk?

This is a flawed question, because rdiff-backup can not restore to a
new blank disk.  It must be parittioned and formatted first.  And
grubbed afterwards.

You can exclude everything.  I exclude /dev, /sys, /proc, *.gvfs, and
/tmp.  If you use the option for staying on one filesystem, and back
up /, you'd not need to exclude proc, sys, or dev.