[rdiff-backup-users] Question about --terminal-verbosity

From: John Jason Jordan
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Question about --terminal-verbosity
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 19:15:31 -0700

Brand new user here, on Ubuntu Jaunty x86_64. My purpose is to back up
my laptop (Thinkpad) to a 500GB external disk physically mounted in an
Ultrabay frame. I'm just a desktop user, no need for heavy duty stuff.
To make a backup I pop out the CD/DVD drive and pop in the 500GB drive.
It automounts and I'm ready for a backup. When it finishes I pop out
the 500GB drive and put it in a fireproof file cabinet.

I started with rdiff-backup using pyBackPack ('cause the command line
scares me), but recently decided that it does not offer the options
that I desire.

I would love to have some kind of progress bar. It doesn't have to be
highly accurate, just close enough so I can tell if I have time to go
to dinner before it finishes. I say that because I don't like to use
the computer while a backup is running. I see the option
--terminal-verbosity [0-9], but I can't find documentation on what you
get at each level. Or maybe that is the wrong command line option to
accomplish what I want.

Any suggestions?