[rdiff-backup-users] (Newbie question) – n o bandwidth efficiency in lo

From: narniamay-td
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] (Newbie question) – n o bandwidth efficiency in local backup mode?
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 18:49:13 +0000 (GMT)

Hey all together out there,

I understand the documentation in a way that rdiff-backup only operates in a
bandwidth efficient manner if a remote machine is involved. Am I right on this
one or not?

Why I am asking:

I have a virtual private network (VPN) connecting two networks over the
internet (office network and home network). Both networks consist of Windows XP
machines only. I have a shared drive on one of the PCs in the home network
mapped as a network drive (drive letter x:/) on one of the PCs in the office
network.

The question is:

Does rdiff-backup works less efficient if I run the program like this:

rdiff-backup d:/some/folder/on/office/network/computer
x:/the/mapped/network/drive/which/is/actually/remote

Compared to this command line:

rdiff-backup d:/some/folder/on/office/network/computer
192.167.xxx.xxx::some/folder/remote

Or does rdiff-backup make no difference?

If rdiff-backup does make a difference do I have to install a SSH service? Or
is SSH only needed if files are backed up from Windows to Linux?

Thanks for your help

Amely

P.S.: Sorry for my bad English.