[rdiff-backup-users] external hard drive for backups with multiple file

From: Thomas Evangelidis
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] external hard drive for backups with multiple file systems
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 02:55:17 +0200

Dear all,

please forgive me if the question has been answered previously, but I did a quick search (due to lack of time) on this mailing list and google  and couldn't find a relevant post.

I have an external hard drive where I would like to save my Windows files and also create incremental backups for Linux. The problem is that incremental backups cannot be created in the default HPFS/NTFS file system of the hard drive. Is it possible to format the drive to a file system (i.e. VFAT or FAT32) which would be read by Windows but could also save Linux incremental backups? Which file system is that? The program I use for backing up is rdiff-backup.

If there isn't any such file system, in what way could I create 2 partitions just for backing up (no OS will be installed), one of which will be mounted by Windows (i.e. NTFS) and the other by Linux (i.e. ext4) using a partitioning program like GParted?

I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Thomas