Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Post-setup questions

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Post-setup questions
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:04:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011, Nicolas Jungers wrote:

There is a third solution, designed specifically for that kind of
problem. You can put a command= option in front of your key in the authorized_keys file to restrict the usage of the key to a specific [set of] command. See AUTHORIZED_KEYS FILE FORMAT in "man sshd".

OP mentioned having problems with the command= option...
But if you can get that to work properly (and restrict it to read-only access), that would even be preferable to push-style, since compromising the backup server would then at most give the attacker read access to the 'laptop', for which the data was already on the backup server.. so no real gain for an attacker.

Push-style "would only have the risk of accessing the laptop's backup on the backup server", but for me, the risk of losing a backup when my laptop is hacked/stolen/lost is simply unacceptable. If one doesn't mind losing her backups when the primary device is compromised, then she shouldn't bother backing it up in the first place.

--
Maarten