Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Capitalized letters from windows to linux

From: Valerio Pachera
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Capitalized letters from windows to linux
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 08:36:31 +0200

2011/10/4 chuck odonnell <address@hidden>:
> When you restore the file back to it's origin
> it will look correct.

My main problem is that I have to create a mirror of the backup to a
ntfs external disk.

If I copy to an ext3 partition, no problem.
# cp -r test/ /tmp/
<no message>

If I copy to the ntfs partition I get "Impossible to create the file..."
# cp -r test/ /media/bkp_esterno1/
cp: impossibile creare il file regolare
"/media/bkp_esterno1/test/\340\350\354\362\371.txt": Invalid or
incomplete multibyte or wide character

These are the fstab options I use 'ntfs-3g rw,locale=it_IT.utf8 '.
mount with no arguments gives
/dev/sdc1 on /media/bkp_esterno1 type fuseblk (rw,allow_other,blksize=4096)

I didn't test to run rdiff-backup from windows to the linux server
directly to the ntfs partition.
It might fail.
When I find a little time, I test that too.