[rdiff-backup-users] Changing ownership of files in archive

From: zero
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Changing ownership of files in archive
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 13:51:47 -0700

In the manual for rdiff-backup it says that one shouldn't change data in a
backup archive, because this will make it impossible to get back old (changed
files). But what about changing metadata? What will happen if I change the
owner of all files in an archive? Is there any reason not to do this?

The reason I ask this is because I have an archive on an external drive that I
used on one computer to backup a folder. I then plugged the same external drive
into another computer, with the idea that I would restore the folder to the new
computer, and use the same backup archive to continue doing backups of the same
folder on the new system. But since the user on the old system doesn't exist I
cannot get rdiff-backup to work. So the easy solution is is to change the
ownership of all files, but I want to make sure that this won't lead to any
trouble.