Re: [rdiff-backup-users] how to push rdiff-backup

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] how to push rdiff-backup
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 11:08:30 +0000

On 2012-03-10 04:07, Willem Buitendyk wrote:
I'm a little perplexed.  My scenario is that I have data loggers in the field, each with a 3g usb modem on board.  I want to have the data loggers rdiff back to my server on amazon ec2 - or to push the backup.  My data loggers have dynamic ip addresses and the telco company keeps them hidden.  In other words I can't have my backup amazon ec2 server poll my data logger.  Again, the need to push the backup.  I'm not really finding any information on how to accomplish this.

The way I do it is to establish an openVPN tunnel. Beware that rdiff-backup is very sensitive to the link quality.

Agreed about the link quality, and so I would suggest that rather than try to run rdiff-backup over a 3g connection, you run rsync, which is much better at recovering from broken connections, especially with the --partial and --link-dest switches (and, occasionally, --checksum). Each machine in the field could rsync back to their dedicated folder on the backup machine and then the backup machine can run rdiff-backup locally. By combining the 2 programs in this way you can still get the benefit of rdiff-backup's versioning '4D' backup.

I also recommend creating a snapshot on the source machine and backing up from this rather than from the original data (which might change while the backup is in progress). For this you want LVM (for Linux) or VSS (for Windows) - I don't know what the equivalent is for Apples.

Dominic
TimeDicer - Windows Backup and File Recovery from Whenever