Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Any Thoughts on Why rdiff-backup Is So Slow?

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Any Thoughts on Why rdiff-backup Is So Slow?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:04:44 -0500

On 03/13/2012 03:25 PM, Robinson, Eric wrote:
Using rsync to copy a local directory to a remote computer takes a 67 seconds.
Using rdiff-backup to backup the same local directory to a remote computer takes
11 minutes. Why does rdiff-backup go so slow? Does the number of increments on
the remote computer influence the speed? We keep 30 previous daily increments

The number of increments is irrelevant since rdiff-backup is working only
with the most recent version (the mirror).  What will make rdiff-backup
slower than rsync is the need to calculate and store the reverse diffs.  In
particular, when there is a large volume of newly deleted files it can take
some time to compress and store the old, now deleted files.  I see this
mainly when there has been a Linux kernel update that caused an old kernel
version to be uninstalled.  That's a lot of files that need be compressed,
stored in the increments directory, and removed from the mirror, whereas
rsync would just need to remove the old files.  Deleting a 4GB ISO image is
be another example of something that would be very fast for rsync but quite
time consuming for rdiff-backup.

                Do NOT delete it.