[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup and tapes

From: Yannick Patois
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup and tapes
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 09:53:15 +0200

Hi,

I would like to backup stuff on tapes. Until now, I was using rsync at
some location + some proprietary software to archive the content.

Problem is that this combination doesn't know about block increments
(only file increments).

If I replace rsync by rdiff-backup, I get block-aware backup in
rdiff-backup-data but also a full copy like rsync did.

So if I backup this on tape I didn't earn anything.

What would be nice would be that only rdiff-backup-data would have to be
backuped, as block increments are converted to files never touched
again. But it looks like it's not the case. If I understand it right the
"current directory" contains the latest version and previous ones can be
reconstructed by reading the blocks in the rdiff-backup-data directory.
Which means that I need the "current directory" archive backup which
ruins the whole idea.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have this question as I saw a lot of
messages on the subject, but couldn't find any conclusion.

So, does someone have been able to use rdiff-backup to reduce "file
grained incremental backup" on tape to "block level incremental backups" ?

Thanks,

        Yannick

--
 _/ Yannick Patois _________________ Address (home) __________________
| irc(undernet): Garp on #france25+ | 4, rue du Scharrach              |