Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Incremental, automated, remote, secure

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Incremental, automated, remote, secure
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:30:05 -0400

Consider bup (with the not-yet-released, but in git master) metadata
support.   I think remote bup is essentially append-only (due to the
nature of git data structures).

I wonder if rdiff-backup in server mode should have a way to invoke it
such that it's append-only.  Then you could put that in
.ssh/authorized_keys.

rdiff-backup preserves metadata in separate files so it doesn't need to
be root on the storage node.  If you can make that work, you can avoid
the rsync-to-root and use an rdiff-backup-specific non-root user.

If you're that paranoid, you should have removable media  and take it
ofline and off site.  In the old days we'd use tape, and have multiple
tapes.

The scary risk is silent corruption and losing old backups. So you need
to keep periodic backups essentially forever.