Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Gentoo masking rdiff-backup

From: Patrick Lauer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Gentoo masking rdiff-backup
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 18:50:43 +0800

On 04/14/2014 04:41 PM, Tobias Leupold wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> Gentoo Linux has masked rdiff-backup:
>
>       Patrick Lauer <address@hidden> (09 Apr 2014)
>       Dead upstream, has known dataloss bugs.
>       Please use something more sane: rsnapshot, backuppc, obnam, ...
>
> I have been using rdiff-backup for years now on multiple machines, it has
> been
> always working fine for me and I really love it. Additionally, afaik there's
> no drop-in replacement doing basically the same thing atm.

Yes. But I've had two dataloss situations where rdiff-backup responds to
any error (e.g. network connection dropping, disc hiccup) by suiciding
with no good way to recover the backups.

And if there's any interruption sometimes it tries to re-fetch all data
from scratch (which can get a little bit sad with multi-TB data sets)
(Plus that exceeds the disk space I have allocated. Oops ...)

That's just a little bit too optimistic for my taste ;)

> So what's the current state of the project? Is there any chance it will
> continue to be developed and come back to life? I do some Python programming
> myself, but I don't think my skills are sophisticated enough to fix rdiff-
> backup bugs or even to maintain it.
>
> Asking in another way: is there an rdiff-backup bugzilla listing those
> dataloss bugs? I would really want to see what _exactly_ is wrong with rdiff-
> backup at the moment.
I did file at least one bug last year.

So far I haven't seen any activity on it, so that's not a good sign :\

Have fun,

Patrick