Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Merge old backup stages

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Merge old backup stages
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 16:25:09 -0500

On 09/12/2016 11:01 AM, bb wrote:
Hello!

This is the first time I read and refer to this mailing list, so if this
is an old topic for you... sorry :-)
I use rdiff-backup as my main backup tool in private (Laptop), public
(Server) and profession and love it.

One thing I always wondered, though, is whether there is a way to
"condense" old backup stages to "thin them out".

In a word, no. It's something that has been requested before. The
underlying librsync library does not support merging successive
diffs, so the only way to do it would be to reconstruct two versions
of a file and create a new diff from those.

The way I handle it is by keeping entirely separate monthly backup
archives and periodically deleting everything more than a year old
from the daily archives. This has the added advantage that if one
of my archives becomes unrecoverably corrupted, I still haven't
lost everything.

                Do NOT delete it.