[rdiff-backup-users] regressing failed

From: Andre Bischof
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] regressing failed
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 17:03:17 +0100

Hi,

I use rdiff ever since, for some years via backupninja. Some time ago, a backup failed, and I started to get this error message:

== fatal errors from /etc/backup.d/90.rdiff ==

Info: Removing backups older than 400D days succeeded.
Error: Previous backup seems to have failed, regressing destination now.
Warning, could not find mirror_metadata file. Metadata will be read from
filesystem instead. Fatal Error: No metadata for time Fri Dec 2 20:06:38 2016
(1480705598) found, cannot regress
Fatal: Failed backup up source

I tried the hints from
http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/FAQ.html#regress_failure

which suggests deleting duplicate current_mirror*data and moving mirror_metadata*gz, but without success.

Maybe I deleted the wrong file. I remember solving a similar problem some years ago succesfully this way.

I would be very grateful for any clues how to solve my problem without starting a complete new backup.

Kind regards
Andre