Re: [rdiff-backup-users] "Found too many current_mirror incs!"

From: Ron Leach
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] "Found too many current_mirror incs!"
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 22:28:22 +0100

On 02/05/2017 23:42, Dominic Raferd wrote:

I suggest you take a backup of the existing broken repository and then try
on it the latest version of my script which can be obtained from
http://www.timedicer.co.uk/programs/help/rdiff-backup-regress.sh.php.

Dominic, I fetched the latest script from your site, thank you. Having backed up the destination directory, and removed an old current_mirror.* file, I ran your script to take away the latest increment. But the script aborted saying it could not find the destination. So I tried with rdiff-backup --check-dest... using the same destination and that did find the destination (but aborted saying 'no need to check').

Here's a transaction sequence:

Server5:/home/ron# ./rdiff-backup-regress.sh -n 1 address@hidden::/srv/Data/101vmail

rdiff-backup-regress.sh v1.0 [25 Aug 2016] by Dominic (-h for help)
=======================

Cannot find directory "address@hidden::/srv/Data/101vmail", aborting...
Server5:/home/ron# rdiff-backup --check-destination-dir -v3 address@hidden::/srv/Data/101vmail
Fatal Error: Destination dir /srv/Data/101vmail does not need checking
Server5:/home/ron# Fatal Error: Lost connection to the remote system
^C
Server5:/home/ron# ./rdiff-backup-regress.sh -n 1 address@hidden::/srv/Data/101vmail

rdiff-backup-regress.sh v1.0 [25 Aug 2016] by Dominic (-h for help)

Cannot find directory "address@hidden::/srv/Data/101vmail", aborting...
Server5:/home/ron#

SSH from machine ...101 to ...201 works with user certificates - and I tested that again to make sure there was no remote login problem. I'd taken the script's command format from the example on the script webpage, substituting '1' for the '2' in the example (as you can see). I have also used the script in the past (very likely an earlier version), and all our backups are onto other machines, and all have used the address@hidden::/destination/path type of construction. I'm assuming the script should be run from the machine that initiates the backup - is that correct? Or should I be doing this differently?

regards, Ron