[rdiff-backup-users] Strange "No space left on device"

From: David Croll
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Strange "No space left on device"
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 11:27:13 +0200

Dear rdiff-backup people,

Yesterday, a backup failed repeatedly. Error Number 28 - No space left
on device. The backup stopped with a specific file, a Firefox cache file
with a size of 0 bytes.

But neither on the source nor on the destination drive, the space
actually ran out. The backup drive (a 4 TB Seagate drive with ext4), had
75% free sectors and about 97% free inodes. The source drive uses ext4, too.

As I have, out of impatience, deleted all increments to use my backup
drive again, I cannot investigate further.

Does anybody have an idea how this could happen?

David