Re: Survey: compatibility vs speed of rdiff-backup development

From: EricZolf
Subject: Re: Survey: compatibility vs speed of rdiff-backup development
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 12:05:42 +0100

Hi,

On 11/02/2023 12:24, EricZolf wrote:
Hi,

before I start for real with the development of version 2.4, I'd like to get your opinion on the exact direction to take:

https://framaforms.org/compatibility-vs-speed-of-rdiff-backup-development-1676028206

I'd appreciate to get numerous answers and opinions. Feel free to also discuss and argue on this mailing list.

I'll share the results on this list but they're public anyway.

First, thanks for the inputs so far, it helps to clarify my thoughts, and assess what is important to you, my users. Second, continue to provide inputs!

It's anonymous and anybody can stay anonymous, but the following comment worries me:

We run multiple os's and struggle to keep one version of rdiff-backupacross the board as they don't all supply updates at the same time, 2.0 - 2.2 caused us pain by breaking backups for us
Do I understand the last part of the sentence right that you had compatibility issues when migrating from 2.0 to 2.2? That's worrying because I really did my best to keep the compatibility in place, thought I had succeeded (after some little bugs [1]) and if I failed, I'm not sure how to improve and would need some more information about what happened.

Thanks, Eric

[1] most of those bugs were reported by rknichols, so if it's your entry, I know what you were referring to. I apologize for the inconvenience, but then I asked multiple times to test the beta, with focus on inter-versions aspects, which didn't happen a lot and are very difficult to test automatically.