jami

Re: jami client

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: jami client
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:37:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

----- Original Message -----

This is something routinely done by the CI packaging pipeline, and everything
is available for review in the jami repository, more specifically under the
extras/packaging/gnu-linux directory.  The packaging can be accomplished via
Docker or GNU Guix; when using Guix all the external dependencies used are that
of the currently installed Guix, which makes it very efficient but has the
downside of requiring these to be up to date in Guix (otherwise you may have
build failures, i.e. because the current opendht package in Guix is slightly
older than the one in the Jami contribs.  Other packaging targets build
everything from the daemon contrib system (bundled), which is much slower (it
will build a full Qt distribution, including qtwebengine -- better have 32 GiB
of RAM) but matches what most Jami developpers would test.

Example, from the root of the jami project:

```
make -f extras/packaging/gnu-linux/Makefile debian_12
```

Will leave you a bunch of .deb packages in the
'extras/packaging/gnu-linux/packages' output directory.

```
make -f extras/packaging/gnu-linux/Makefile deb-pack-x86-64
```

Would use 'guix pack -f deb' to produce a self-contained Jami Debian package
that includes the whole distribution (very disk-heavy but portable).  If you
have Guix installed on your machines it'd be more efficient to simply 'guix
install jami'.  We could setup a Guix channel to distribute the latest Jami (to
be done, but it should be relatively straightforward by adding a directory and
a file to the jami repository).

I hope that helps,

Maxim