rule-list

Re: [RULE] Spreadsheet/DB of the SW, part 2

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: Re: [RULE] Spreadsheet/DB of the SW, part 2
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:00:40 -0800

Hi Martin.

I realize that you are speaking to Marco, but I'd like to reply on my own behalf.

From: Martin Stricker <address@hidden>
...I still see a scenario where a reboot is
not desired: Imagine someone (like a student) who wants Linux installed
on his computer, but hasn't any network. He goes to an install party or
university, there a network card is plugged in, the computer gets
everything installed, the network card is removed and everything works.
BTW this is exactly the scenario this very computer here got it's first
Linux (Red Hat 4 IIRC) six years ago. Back then I had internet access at
university, and private internet access was *expensive*, so I didn't see
any need for network, so I didn't want it installed, I needed the space.
I think this scenario still is valid in some countries.
<snip>

I've never been to an install party before. It sounds like fun. I wonder if girls go. ;^)

I don't understand how your scenario affects the install procedure. Even if someone is just lending you a network card, aren't you still allowed to reboot & continue installing before returning it?

On an unrelated note, it might be useful to have a tutorial on the web site on how to make our own null cables [correct terminology?], so that people can install via PLIP. This might make it harder to set up the server, but the client [which is the 1 that is being installed] can be taken cared of by the install scripts. The advantage of using PLIP is that it makes it much easier to install, in that you don't have to open the box to install the network card, & if I understand correctly, you don't have to worry about interrupts. But then again, the person might want to setup a printer. But at least its an option. We can worry about it when the standard install method is finished.

On yet another unrelated note, a possible configuration is to have a docking bay/port for your laptops. Your laptop will be able to connect via PLIP to the docking bay/port, which is just a Linux router that might have Internet access. The laptop can contain only what it needs. Some people have extra monochrome cards, so they would be able to install another printer port, which will allow users to print from their laptops through the docking port/bay to the printer. Whoopee!! Old hardware is being used!

I don't say that very elaborate install options should be part of the
Slinky installer, but please leave the basic network install
capabilities in! Maybe these more elaborated installers can be loaded
from the RULE homepage or another disk, so they don't clutter the basic
installer disk?
<snip>

I never mentioned it earlier, but I believe that even with this new install method, the RULE project could still keep Slinky & Miniconda around, for whatever reasons.

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong