rule-list

[RULE] Updating RULE RedHat 9 to most recent bug fixes

From: C David Rigby
Subject: [RULE] Updating RULE RedHat 9 to most recent bug fixes
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 08:27:25 +0100

I have performed slinky-based installs of RedHat 9 on three systems and then updated them to the latest errata-correction RPMs from RedHat. I have collected locally the packages that pertain to a base install of RedHat 9 using slinky-v0.3.96. PLEASE let me know if you discover I have missed something! They can be retrieved here (details in the accompanying readme.txt file):

http://rule-test.homelinux.org/~rule/rule-tool/updates/

I do things in a particular order mostly from habit, it may not be necessary to follow it strictly. But at least I know this works, so I haven't changed it. Here are the details:

i686
----

The test server is a dual-PII system. Prior experience has taught me that there is a definite reason why a separate version of glibc exists for the i686 CPUs. On previous RedHat 9 systems, if I installed the i386 version, rpm itself began segfaulting, and things degenerated from there.

Once the system is running, go to the directory where the i686 packages are stored (subdirectory i686 under the server directory shown above) and issue the command:

rpm -Fvh kernel-2.4.20-30.9.i686.rpm

(actually, on my system, I issued rpm -Uvh kernel-smp-2.4.20-30.9.i686.rpm, but this is not applicable specifically to a RULE installation).

Then, from the i386 directory, I update glibc-common with

rpm -Fvh --nodeps glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9.7.i386.rpm

(--nodeps is necessary because the prior version of glibc depends on the prior version of glibc-common. You may be able to issue a single rpm command with both the i386 glibc-common rpm and the i686 glibc rpm on the command line and let rpm work out the details. But I haven't tried that.)

Back to the i686 directory and

rpm -Fvh glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7.i686.rpm

and while you are at it:

rpm -Fvh openssl-0.9.7a-20.2.i686.rpm

Next, check the file /etc/lilo.conf to make sure you are happy with it, run lilo, then reboot. When the system is running again, go to the i386 directory and issue the command:

rpm -Fvh *rpm.

Finally, go to the noarch directory and run

rpm -Fvh redhat-config-date-1.5.15-1.noarch.rpm

Done (Well, until the next erratum is released!)

i586
----

Similar to the above, go to the i586 directory and upgrade the kernel:

rpm -Fvh kernel-2.4.20-30.9.i586.rpm

Then, go to the i386 directory and take care of glibc:

rpm -Fvh --nodeps glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9.7.i386.rpm
rpm -Fvh glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7.i386.rpm

Check /etc/lilo.conf, run lilo and reboot. Finish by going to the i386 directory and issuing:

rpm -Fvh *rpm

Finally, go to the noarch directory and run

rpm -Fvh redhat-config-date-1.5.15-1.noarch.rpm

Done.

i386/i486
---------

The RULE installation will have installed the kernel-2.4.20-8RULE.i386.rpm or the kernel-BOOT-2.4.20-8.i386.rpm kernel package. The updates include kernel-2.4.20-30.9.i386.rpm, which I am using without problems (so far) on my 486 notebook. So, from the i386 directory:

rpm -Uvh kernel-2.4.20-30.9.i386.rpm
rpm -Fvh --nodeps glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9.7.i386.rpm
rpm -Fvh glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7.i386.rpm

Check /etc/lilo.conf, run lilo, reboot. Then returning to the i386 directory:

rpm -Fvh *rpm

Finally, go to the noarch directory and run

rpm -Fvh redhat-config-date-1.5.15-1.noarch.rpm

Done.

athlon
------

There is not an athlon-specific rpm for glibc, so the athlon case should proceed just like the i586 case above, except begin by switching to the athlon directory and running:

rpm -Fvh kernel-2.4.20-30.9.athlon.rpm

Note that I have not tried this. I have an athlon-based system, but it runs Debian unstable! {8->

Regards,
CDRigby