Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] admin help

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] admin help
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:28:04 +0100

Sorry I got called away and I'm about to go away again for the weekend.

Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't remember seeing your previous mail, but help is still welcome.

It was some time ago.  No matter.

> We would like to have as much help as possible for the project
> submissions reviews, because this is what the most time-consuming
> task today.

OK, I can doubtless do some of that.  I can also do sysadmin jobs if
that's any use.  [Do you have a monitoring system in place for the
services?  I have some experience of that if it's of any interest.]

> Our other tasks are mostly described at
> https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/TasksList

I'll check it after the weekend.

> Do you already have some wishes about how you would like to help?

Not particularly, although I'd be quite interested in keeping my hand
in at sysadmin while I'm not doing it professionally.

> We would also be much interested in some story-telling about the time
> when some people had root on the GNU systems :)

I don't think there's much to tell.  People were generally trusted in
those days if they were reasonably well-known, and if something needed
doing, you tended to be given the means of doing it yourself.  These
days even rms seems to worry somewhat about security (rightly so).