[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #305986] Re: Installing vserver a

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #305986] Re: Installing vserver at Savannah
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:45:37 +0200

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 11:27:11AM -0400, Justin Baugh via RT wrote:
> > [beuc - Sat Sep 09 19:44:53 2006]:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm configuring the current stable kernel using /proc/config.gz as a
> > base - but I'd rather you do it or proof-read it.
>
> Sylvain,
>
> We're happy to provide you with whatever information you need, but I
> imagine you don't really need our help to install new kernels. What I do
> ask is that you track security updates aggressively.

Sure.

As for compiling the kernel, the problem is to avoid mistakes, because
it is quite hard/long to debug remotely (we can ask GRUB to reboot on
a given kernel only once for testing, but that implies a 5mn Savannah
downtime each time, hopefully without a fsck).

Do you happen to have a remote console or something similar?

> > Can you tell your 'backlog status'? :)
>
> Most of the systems administration backlog is now eliminated. Ward and I
> are continuing to work on the new mail system (which is 99% done) and a
> web-based interface to spam preferences and user/list quarantines. Due
> to the complexity of Zope 3 and the moving target nature of the
> platform, we've decided to go to Django (this is the part I am currently
> working on). jag is working on a much needed replacement to the FSF
> online ordering system, which will replace a collection of hacky scripts
> and a 10+ year old elisp system that no one knows anything about. We've
> done a lot lately to clean up and demystify various machines. This work
> is ongoing, along with projects internally to redo the office X
> environment (which is ancient), move FSF mail to IMAP, etc etc.

Thanks for the info :)

--
Sylvain