Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] permission denied when mirroring

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] permission denied when mirroring
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 21:45:29 +0200

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 12:19:23PM +0300, Kapetanakis Giannis wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
>
> >Hi Kapetanakis,
> >
> >The permissions are defined by the admins of each hosted project.
> >
> >For example, the 'scat' reported errors happened because the admin
> >first uploaded the file with too little permissions, but he fixed them
> >later on.
> >
> >A few GNU project accounts are also 'private', which is probably why
> >their download area is not opened to the public. It's not visible from
> >Apache (because it doesn't show files if there's not enough
> >permissions) but it's visible from rsync :)
> >
> >So you'll probably always get transfer errors from time to time. I
> >think you can ignore errors when rsync returns with code 23 or 24
> >("permission error" and "file vanished during mirroring") - a
> >technique used by tools such as rsnapshot. I don't think exclusion
> >rules would help because these permissions are subject to change.
> >

> That's fine with me. Cron does not mind of some permission warnings :)
>
> >I also usually specify '--delete' when mirroring, I don't think
> >there's an issue doing deletions first (unless you had previous bad
> >experience with this).
> >

> >Feel free to ask us if you have other questions :)
> >
> >Regards,
>
> I prefer delete-after so that i first get the newer version
> and then delete any old versions.
>
> The problem I see with your rsync server is that I always get
> IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion
>
> This is why my files are not getting deleted.
> I get this only with your rsync server and with any other
> project I mirror.

That's probably because we give full privileges to users over their
download area :)

Would you consider running '--ignore-errors'?
(note: you might also be interested by --delete-during :))

Independently: I checked the 3 troublesome directories, and they are
empty. I'll just make them browseable. According to my tests, when
only a file (not a directory) is 'access denied', that does not
prevent rsync from deleting files.

However, I think '--ignore-errors' would be needed, even without those
3 troublesome directories, because a user still can, willingly or not,
make a non-accessible directory in his download area, which would
cause rsync to complain as with gnumail/fsf-ams/ruf and skip file
deletions for the whole mirroring (like now).

--
Sylvain