Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Plans to host project Wikis?

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Plans to host project Wikis?
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 17:34:02 +0100

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 06:11:12PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
> I can't speak to any technical plans for doing so.

Okay, sure.

> As a policy, it is not something to do lightly.

Understood.

> >   Having a wiki on a GNU site requires special care.  Are you going to
> >   check the wiki frequently, in case someone has put in recommendations
> >   for non-free programs?  Or calls the GNU system "Linux"?  Or describes
> >   it as "open source"?  You need to do these things if you have a wiki.

Yes, this makes a lot of sense. At the Apache Software Foundation, where I am a
developer on CouchDB, we monitor the wiki changes via email and correct, revert
or improve them on an ongoing basis, I think this is critical.

The motivation for my question was that if I were to host a project on Savannah
a great thing to have would be a hosted wiki, I am naturally dubious about
hosting dynamic content on my own servers due to a lack of faith in my own
system administration skills to keep it secure.

Thanks for the feedback though! :)

--
Noah Slater - The GNU Project <http://www.gnu.org/>