Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [Savannah-register-public] [task #9048

From: Sebastian Gerhardt
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [Savannah-register-public] [task #9048] Submission of Mudlet
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:52:59 +0100

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 16:01 -0500, Ted Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 19:19 +0100, Sebastian Gerhardt wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 10:36 -0500, Ted Smith wrote:
> > > It also seems that Mudlet builds on Windows, and that a lot of
> > > development takes place with Windows as a target. Could this be
> > > problematic, or one of the things that we ask the developer about?
> >
> > This is similar to the Sourceforge issue. We want his software to run
> > without limitations on Free Software operating systems, without any
> > proprietary dependencies.  If it also runs on Windows, that's fine, but
> > no user should be lured to it (because of additional features in the
> > Windows version or some "Works best on Windows" slogans).
> >
> Are there any templates for this? I would hate to say something that
> accidentally reflects poorly on the FSF. I don't see any in savannah.el.

No template that I know of. I would just ask him whether his project has
been tested on a free OS and runs on it without limitations.

> Here's what I have so far:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah. While
> doing so I have noticed a few problems which are described below.
>
> A.) You have license notices, but do not have appropriate copyright
> notices, especially in the files in src/ui/, or on
> src/dlgTimersMainArea.cpp, src/dlgSystemMessageArea.cpp,
> src/dlgTriggerMainArea.cpp. Also, the copyright notice in
> src/ctelnet.cpp isn't a correct application of the GPL (the copyright
> notice should look like all the other ones you have). While these files
> are less than 10 lines and do not require a copyright notice, it would
> be best if they had one.
>
> Additionally, the copyright status and license of all of the images is
> unclear, as well as the copyright status and license of the
> documentation and the XML in src/ui. Your project cannot be approved
> until this is clarified.
>
> Please check
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html for
> more information, and update your files.
>
> B.) Savannah is meant to help developers organize a team and produce
> code. This means we provide resources to projects so they can actually
> manage their project, and we do not host a download area only.
>
> I mention this because I saw you already have a Launchpad account and a
> Sourceforge account. Can you tell me how you plan to use Savannah?
>
> C.) "Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system that we like to
> refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize the ideals of the Free Software
> movement.
>
> Would you mind changing references to Linux as an OS to GNU/Linux? This
> occurs specifically in src/ui/about_dialog.ui.
>
> For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html.
>
> D.) <windows statement>
>
> If you are willing to make the changes mentioned above, please provide
> us with an URL to an updated tarball of your project.  Upon review, we
> will reconsider your project for inclusion in Savannah.
>
> To help us better keep track of your registration, please use the
> tracker's web interface by following the link below. Do not reply
> directly; the registration process is not driven by e-mail, and we will
> not receive such replies.

Looks fine, as far as I am concerned.
Regarding the Windows statement, I wouldn't worry about this unless you
really have the impression that the users will somehow be pushed to use
proprietary stuff by this project.