[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: campaign against mpeg codec

From: Nicodemo Alvaro
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: campaign against mpeg codec
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 15:35:51 -0400

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 15:15 -0400, Nicodemo Alvaro wrote:
> The Savannah Hackers would like to know if the playogg.org or any
> other
> GNU campaigns are against the MPEG (mp3) codec.
>
> I understand that there was a previous campaign against the GIF
> library
> where Savannah did not accept or host projects that used the GIF
> library. Is this the same with the MPEG codec or any other related
> software?

The Savannah Hackers approve projects to be hosted and below is an
excerpt project registration.

VDRIP is a perl utility that helps you to rip MPEG2 format videos
(TS or PS) in mpeg4 format files and .avi containers.
It compacts them efficiently and produce high quality .avi files.
The videos in MPEG2 format have usually an extension .mpg  .mpeg
.m2t or .vob and you get them when you record TV or Satellite
programs with a DVB adaptor installed in your computer.
Internally, this utility uses the well known MPLAYER and
MENCODER softwares (see http://www.mplayerhq.com).
vdrip.pl is a perl software running on GNU/Linux and released
under the GPL License. Free software, this utility is supplied as
an "all in one" file.
There is no GUI (Graphical User Interface), everything is done in
a Terminal or Console window : it is a very easy way.

==== Other Software Required: ====
no dependancies.