Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] A better place for very small projects?

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] A better place for very small projects?
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:29:21 +0200

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 08:45:18PM +0200, Sebastian Gerhardt wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> once in a blue moon I come across a project submissions to be approved
> which are somewhat smallish. (e.g.
> https://savannah.gnu.org/task/index.php?9627 )

Btw, independently, Nicodemo raised concern about relying on an
external service/data for the weather.  Cf. the other thread about it.

> While I a not saying these weren't useful, I have the feeling that a
> full hosting account might be a bit overpowered for such "one-filers".
> Often the license text is longer than the code itself.
>
> I also have the impression the authors do not really want to have all
> the burden coming with a full blown account, let alone they want to
> maintain or support it. They merely look for some place to show the
> world their first program. No offense here, I actually think this is a
> good thing.
>
> But isn't there any other place where we could point these people to
> without giving them the impression we just want to get rid of them
> because their program isn't considered "worthy" enough?

I think people already tend to avoid Savannah and its very formal
approval process, and host it somewhere else where the initial review
is inexistant or of quick/low quality.  For example it seems like
google code has a ***load of very small projects - however, as a
whole, they give it more visibility, and some of them grow and become
more important projects that usually stay at the same host.

Plus I don't think we have another place to recommend.

So I think we should just accept those projects the standard way.

--
Sylvain