Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] randy kobes passed away -> ftpmirror redir

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] randy kobes passed away -> ftpmirror redirector
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 01:09:25 GMT

Hi Michael,

Thanks much for setting up the geoip/mirmon cron.  All that looks good.

However, I just went to http://gnu-ftpmirror.savannah.gnu.org
again and this time was redirected to http://ftp.sh.cvut.cz.

I was always under the impression that the thing chose a mirror from
your country, if there was such a mirror and it could determine your
country.  The Apache2::GeoIP documentation implies as much, though I
don't see it in the code.  Maybe Sylvain removed that part for the
nongnu redirector, since there were so few mirrors?

>From Randy's host, I was always redirected to a US site (my IP addr is
certainly US), and I don't recall being sent to a non-US host from the
http://gnu-ftpmirror.savannah.gnu.org test before either, although I
only tried a couple of times.

Does the thing do any useful logging -- e.g., incoming IP addr, country
as determined, and chosen mirror?  I didn't see it ...

Thanks,