Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] sv host aliases

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] sv host aliases
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:56:26 +0100

Karl Berry wrote:
> Michael and all -- I guess maybe it's just me, but I find it hard
> remember (and painful to type) the full hostnames for all the virtual
> hosts, especially since many seem have multiple (nick)names.  Do you
> think we could define aliases in /etc/hosts (I guess) so that simply
> "ssh dl" and the like could work?
>
> I know it's suboptimal to have to write the names/addresses in a second
> place besides DNS, but I'm asking anyway.

Hi Karl,
At worst (i.e., doesn't help with "ping dl"),
you can add something like this to .ssh/config:

Host dl
  Hostname download.sv.gnu.org

Personally, I avoid typing, so use a combination of the above
and zsh's hostname completion (bash has similar).  With completion,
I'd type "ssh do" and then hit TAB to complete, giving this:

    $ ssh download.sv.gnu.org