[Savannah-hackers-public] git repositories with no description, FYI: fix

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] git repositories with no description, FYI: fixed
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 11:28:00 +0100

The following 377 repositories had a default description
that was visible via gitweb.  Usually you'd see this on the
gitweb summary page, just above Owner and URL: lines:

    description   Unnamed repository; edit this file to name it for gitweb.

That was because they had a "project.git/description" file
with default contents.  We can do better.

I've run this snippet to put "GNU project_name" in each of those files:
# Replace each default description (visible via gitweb),
# with "GNU project_name", where project_name is the name
# of the git repository without the .git suffix and without
# any preceding component for the rare ones that have an additional
# parent directory.

cd /srv/git
unnamed='Unnamed repository;'

for desc in $(grep -l "$unnamed" $(find . -maxdepth 2 -name '?*.git' \
              |sed 's,$,/description,')); do
  proj_name=$(echo $desc|sed 's,.*/\(.*\)\.git/description$,\1,')
  echo "GNU $proj_name" > $desc
done

# Here's the list of affected packages:

Perl-Device-Cdio