[Savannah-hackers-public] [task #12497] Allow non-fast-forward pushes to

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] [task #12497] Allow non-fast-forward pushes to the Automake git repository.
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 13:38:38 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Hello.

To implement the new branching scheme for Automake (discussed in
<http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13578>)
we need to do a non-fast-forward push of the 'master' branch in
the Automake repository.

Since 'master' is the "current branch" on the Savannah copy of the repository,
git don't allow me to delete it (as that would cause issues with 'git clone');
so that I cannot apply the usual
trick of "delete, re-create and re-push the branch".

More references:
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2013-02/msg00083.html>

In addition, the Automake repository often contains WIP branches that are
quite regularly rewritten and rebased, and having to delete and re-push them
each time (instead of just using the
quicker and more atomic "git push -f") is annoying.

So I ask if it is possible to allow non-fast-forward pushes for the whole
Automake repositor (e.g., by setting the 'receive.denyNonFastForwards' option
to 'false').

A similar issue for Guile has been succesfully resolved recently:
<https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?12428>
So I hope this one can too be quicly resolved.

Thanks,
  Stefano

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?12497>

  Message sent via/by Savannah