[Savannah-hackers-public] Savane Source Repositories Decoded

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Savane Source Repositories Decoded
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 19:00:23 -0600

The recent thread about savane checked out working copies had me
looking through the source repositories.  Initially I was quite
confused by the similarly named version control copies.

There are *three* different savane related repositories.  After some
research I now understand why and wanted to say that here for others
and future reference.  Although I am sure this was already obvious to
others.  I will document this on the wiki.

  /srv/git/administration/savane.git
  /srv/git/savane-cleanup.git
  /srv/git/savane.git

1. The administration/savane is the live copy that we are currently
using.  That one is active and fully in sync.  All good.

2. The savane-cleanup is a fork copy of the administration/savane version
control repository.  It was forked in 2009 after commit 2cdf3a5e by
Jonathan Gonzalez.  Between 2009 and 2011 there were endless merge
points made as patches were cherry picked back to savane-cleanup from
administration/savane.  I can't resist saying that it is definitely a
merge mess and a good argument for using rebase.  It looks like they
were trying to do parallel development between both the live savannah
and the new code.  The live administration/savane also shows many
merge commits cherry picking changes back.  Then for the last six
months there were only a handful of commits there only.  The last
commit was made in 2012-05.  The savane-cleanup one is the most
confusing with regards to administration/savane because most of the
code is identical.

3. The last repository named just savane is a complete rewrite.  It
started out as a rewrite in Perl using the Catalyst web framework.
Catalyst is a Rails-like MVC web framework in Perl.  Then later in
2009 all of that was abandoned, removed, and the Django Python web
framework was imported.  Django is a Rails-like MVC web framework in
Python.  Further development over the next two years continued in
Django and Python.  The last commit there was in 2011.

I will find a good place to document this on the wiki.  The current
best information there is in SavaneTasks and SavaneRewrite.

If there was an archive I would vote to move those last two off to the
archive to simplify the live maintenance.  There has definitely been a
lot of effort put into them so it would be a shame to lose track of
them.  But at the moment they seem like they did not bear fruit.

Bob