Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Running GNU Savannah (frontend) locally

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Running GNU Savannah (frontend) locally
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 18:30:54 -0400

Hello,

Regarding making the GNU Savannah information public:

On 08/29/2014 01:57 PM, address@hidden wrote:
For the data export, you're doing it wrong: to ensure privacy, you
need to specifically extract the data that is safe, and leave out
everything else, that way you cannot disclose private information.

Actual implementation aside, what I'm looking for is feedback regarding which
fields/tables are
considered private and which are considered public (beyond those I already know
about).

Once we have those, we can test whether the information is acceptable for
public release.

At first glance I'm not trilled to see the database offered for
analysis to anybody,

Please note that the majority of the GNU Savannah information is already public.

user names, user accounts, user numeric IDs, public keys, skills, user/project
participation,
project names, project IDs, project's bugs/tasks/patches/support are all
publicly available,
even for non-logged in users
(of course, only those item not marked as private).

There is very little information that is not public, and that is the
information I want to scrub out.

But other than that - the information is *already* public.

so I think a discussion with the Savannah _Users_ needs to happen
before any data is made available to more people.

Based on my recent and short (and not exhaustive) experience with GNU Savannah,
I'd say this is a sure way to bury this idea.

It's hard enough to get any feedback from Savannah hackers, let alone from the
~63K registered Savannah users, or the few thousand users that actually
interacted with the website in any way.

I think there should be a managerial decision here:
Either this idea is acceptable, in which case let's agree on what's public and
what's not;
or, this idea is not acceptable, in which case I'll stop wasting my time on it.

-Assaf.