Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #955774] Rearrangement mirror ser

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #955774] Rearrangement mirror servers
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 22:06:36 GMT

    I don't see any https URLs in our current list of mirrors [0]; is that
    just coincidence or are there any restrictions for it?

As it happens, neither.

It seems wrong to me to list both http and https protocols for a given
server, since it would double the chance of it being selected.  (And I
don't want to take the time to mess around with the multiplexor
selection to change that.)

Despite https-everywhere arguments, I see no point in increasing
bandwidth and server burdens by preferring https to http in the case of
(non)gnu mirrors.

If a server was only available via https, then I would list it that
way.  So far there haven't been any.

So, barring vehement objections, I plan to add these with only http, as
I have before.

best,
karl