[Savannah-hackers-public] Assaf's SAE regexp remote method

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Assaf's SAE regexp remote method
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 23:49:45 -0300

Hello Assaf!

First of all, let me congratulate you for the Savannah Automatic
Evaluator (SAE, or whatever it should be called) of yours --- quite
impressive!  I think it's a tool that deserves Savannah hackers'
attention, because even in a prototypical stage it can be significantly
helpful for their evaluation tasks.  I'm CC'ing the Savannah hacker's
mailing list because I think this SAE subject is of interest for them.
Please, forgive me if that's not the case.

I decided to use the SAE to do my evaluations so I can speed them up
and help to test and improve the tool.

For instance, when evaluating the blimpserver[1] submission I saw that
SAE detects XML files as "not-text" and skips the license check on
them.  That's not correct as XML may be handcrafted source.

Then I went to your online remote SAE service[2] so I could run it on
blimpserver's source tree and easily point you to the results in my
bug report, but found out two problems preventing me from using it:
zip is yet not supported and the address Savannah gives to the package
is

  https://savannah.gnu.org/task/download.php?file_id=34880

which doesn't match the expected regular expression

  ^(https?|ftp)://[A-Za-z0-9\_\.\/-]*\.tar\.(gz|bz2|xz)$

Why not just fetch whatever is at the given URL and then run 'file -i'
on it and only then discriminate for the method of access?

Let's discuss about and improve SAE while working on the evaluations.

Footnotes:

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?13738

[2] http://gnueval.housegordon.org/

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) http://oitofelix.freeshell.org/

GNU ccd2cue maintainer
GNU web translation team coordinator (Brazilian Portuguese)
GNU audio and video maintainer
DMOZ free software editor (Portuguese)
UFU FAMAT PET member

[GNU DISCLAIMER] I'm a GNU hacker, but my views don't necessarily
match those of the GNU project.  Hereby I express my own opinion,
style and perception, in good faith, aiming the betterment of GNU.