[Savannah-hackers-public] reTUX game - possible GNU GPL violation

From: wiktor
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] reTUX game - possible GNU GPL violation
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 22:33:32 +0200

Hi,
I'd like to request that you review an opensource project hosted on GNU Savannah that misleads users and requires a fee to download its source code. The project in question is a platformer game called reTUX that uses graphics from the SuperTux game and is hosted at http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/retux.
I've tried contacting the author to point out that it's a violation of the GPL to withhold source code (or in this case, to ask money for it), and it's also rather peculiar to be hosting password protected source code tarballs on GNU Savannah. Included below is a copy of that email conversation.

best regards,
Wiktor Jakubczyc

GmailWiktor Jakubczyc <address@hidden>

source code
7 messages

wiktor <address@hidden>Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 8:45 PM
To: address@hidden
hi,
i would like to see the source code for your game. unfortunately, you've password protected the source code and then went so far as to upload password protected 7z files on gnu savannah. could i see the source code, please?
w.

Julie Marchant <address@hidden>Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 9:06 PM
To: wiktor <address@hidden>

Every copy of the game that comes from me includes the full source code. If you received a binary-only copy from someone else, they are obligated to provide you with the full corresponding source code. If such a person doesn't provide the source code, please let me know who it is so I can contact them about correcting the problem.

If this is not your situation (i.e. you have not received a copy of ReTux at all), you can get the password by purchasing ReTux here:

http://sites.fastspring.com/retux/product/retux

Or, if you would like to use another payment method (such as Bitcoin), we can work that out manually.

Julie

[Quoted text hidden]

wiktor <address@hidden>Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 9:30 PM
To: Julie Marchant <address@hidden>
Right. I think you realize you not only run afoul of GNU Savannah rules for hosting open source projects but you mock open source software as an idea.
[Quoted text hidden]

Julie Marchant <address@hidden>Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 9:39 PM
To: wiktor <address@hidden>

No. Two things:

One, Savannah's rules are about whether the program is libre, not "open source". Neither I nor the FSF (who runs Savannah) supports open source.

Two, Savannah's rules do not prohibit charging money for copies, and this doesn't go against the philosophy of the FSF either.

--
Julie Marchant
https://onpon4.github.io

[Quoted text hidden]

wiktor <address@hidden>Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 10:04 PM
To: Julie Marchant <address@hidden>
I think you will find your interpretation is rather unique. I'll be forwarding this exchange to GNU Savannah staff along with a request to take down your project.
[Quoted text hidden]

Julie Marchant <address@hidden>Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 10:14 PM
To: wiktor <address@hidden>

Go ahead. I don't think I'm in violation of the rules.

--
Julie Marchant
https://onpon4.github.io

[Quoted text hidden]

wiktor <address@hidden>Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 10:24 PM
To: Julie Marchant <address@hidden>
Well, I'm curious what the savannah admins will say. I don't mind people making money from software, but you're
1) clearly misleading people by advertising on pygame (http://www.pygame.org/project-ReTux-2982-5002.html), Linux game database (https://lgdb.org/game/retux) among others
2) perhaps violating the terms of use of savannah by password encrypting the source code (the CVS in savannah doesn't include the source code)
[Quoted text hidden]