Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] [Repo-criteria-discuss] Savannah and HTTPS

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] [Repo-criteria-discuss] Savannah and HTTPS
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 22:16:55 -0400

Richard:

A couple people have raised concerns about Savannah and whether it meets
criteria C6, which states: "Support HTTPS properly and securely,
including the site's certificates."

I'm not entirely sure how to intended "properly and securely" to be
interpreted, but from a security standpoint, there are legitimate
issues.

I quoted the e-mail in full below.  The solution to the problems are:

  - Modify the webserver configuration to send an HTTP header ("HSTS")
    with HTTP responses that tells the client never to attempt non-HTTPS
    connections;
  - Redirect all traffic to :443 (HTTPS);
  - Rewrite all URLs on webpages to use https; and
  - All of the above for git.savannah.{non,}gnu.org.

I sent these to the Savannah hackers.  Understandably, they're in need
of help.  I forwarded the links they sent me to repo-criteria-discuss@
so that others can look into how to volunteer and understand the state
of things.

Currently, they are migrating to new VMs provided by the FSF and would
like to make changes there.  Changes to git.savannah.gnu.org to support
repositories over HTTPS isn't something they say they can do on the old
hardware with limited resources.

I have two questions for you:

  - Given the issues below, do you consider Savannah to implement HTTPS
    "properly and securely"?

  - Changes to the first three items above could conceivably be made to
    the existing servers until migration is complete; otherwise they'll
    have to wait, which might be a while (I don't know how
    long).  Should precedence be given to resolving the first three
    issues on the current servers?

Please let me know your thoughts on how we should proceed.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer