Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] mirmon out-of-sync with 00_MIRRORS.*

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] mirmon out-of-sync with 00_MIRRORS.*
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 19:30:16 -0700

Hi,

(adding @sv-hk-public@)

On 2017-12-06 11:53 PM, Ineiev wrote:
Some time ago I removed mirror.freedif.org from
/srv/download/00_MIRRRORS.* on olddownload.sv.gnu.org,
but mirmon [0] still lists it (as bad).

This is a left-over from the HTTPS modification to the mirror scripts
(done by fsf-admins on Nov 2017).

The relevant messages on sv-hk-private@ are on 2017-Oct-15 and 2017-Nov-03, subject "https ftpmirror.gnu.org change".

The last messages in that thread mention they weren't able to
change the files on "/srv/download", and so they severed the symlink
from download:/srv/download/00_MIRRORS.txt to
download:/opt/savannah/mirrors/mirmon-lists/nongnu-mirror-list.txt .

Therefore, updates to "00_MIRRORS.txt" had no effect since November.

The immediate work-around is to edit directly the file:
 download:/opt/savannah/mirrors/mirmon-lists/nongnu-mirror-list.txt
Also notice that they changed the file format, the *old* format
had 3 columns (protocol/country/url), the *new* format has only
2 columns (country/url).

The files 00_MIRRORS.{txt,html} are not used for now.

The mid-term solution is to reinstate the 00_MIRRORS.txt file.

The long term solution (IMHO) is to actually revert these changes,
restore the old scripts, and implement HTTPS redirection in a much cleaner and simpler way: by changing ONLY the cgi mirror script
(in download:/opt/savannah/cgi-bin/mirrors) so that if the request came
from HTTPS, simply discard the non-HTTPs mirrors in the file.

However, I'm not sure if I'll have time to do it in the near future.

regards,
 - assaf