Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] VERY slow git response from Savannah

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] VERY slow git response from Savannah
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 12:45:24 -0700

address@hidden wrote:
> I would have thought most people would do 'git pull' instead of 'git clone'
> and that pulling wouldn't be quite as intensive, but who knows...

I think that these days most people do not keep persistent state.  The
cynic in me assumes they are working from their phone.  Instead they
clone a new repository, do something, then toss it away.  Even for
continuous integration systems many people do not use a local cache.
I can't prove this but it is just my observation of the way people
work around me in real life.  This makes large projects very I/O
intensive when things happen.

I was actually using clone generically there.  But if people were
pulling then I would have expected the processes to have finished
quickly.  But we do periodically see large repositories getting cloned
at the same time due to project announcements all run at the same time
and take up time.  I don't know which projects were getting pulled or
cloned since we do not log that information.  But previously Emacs has
been the cause of it becaues the repos is large (and originally was
larger) making cloning need a lot of bandwidth.  When Emacs announces
a new release there is usually a spike.  So using it as an example
without saying that was the project this time.

Bob