savannah-hackers

Re: Suggested amendment for the Mercurial documentation on Savannah

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Suggested amendment for the Mercurial documentation on Savannah
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 12:50:51 +0000

Hello, Ineiev.

On Sun, Aug 06, 2023 at 17:35:14 +0000, Ineiev wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 06, 2023 at 02:12:58PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Yes, the update is better than my original suggestion

> > Would it be possible to update the "same" page on savannah.nongnu.org,
> > too, please?

> https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/UsingHg/
> and
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/maintenance/UsingHg/
> look the same for me.

I still see the old page on
https://savannah.nongnu.org/maintenance/UsingHg/, before I log in to
savannah, but see the new page after I've logged in at least once.

> > There's one point on the new page which I think remains a little
> > puzzling.  That's the comment "Now fill the repository at Savannah:"
> > which suggests the repository somehow already exists.  I think the text
> > "Now create the repository at Savannah:" would be less puzzling.

> I believe an empty repository have been created in a cron job
> at that point,

> https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/administration/savane.git/tree/lib/Savane/Hg.pm.in
> (note 'hg init', line 59)

I'm not so sure.  Maybe it's not all that important.  But commands like
hg incoming will give the error message "abort: repository is unrelated"
when the two repositories are indeed unrelated.  When I struggled
through the directions on UsingHg for the first time, I was puzzled by
the question "when and how does the repository get created?".  That led
to me making the mistake I did.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).