savannah-hackers

[sr #110932] Git's "smart server" not working any more?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110932] Git's "smart server" not working any more?
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 00:12:07 -0400 (EDT)

The git:// protocol uses the git-daemon and that is a smart protocol.
It's also anonymous for read-only checkouts only not allowing commits.
The http and https protocols are also anonymous for read-only
checkouts.

I am on travel this week and I won't be able to look to see what is
failing with git:// git-daemon not handling that clone command.  Are
those options new?  It's possible that your client is newer than the
server and it has simply outpaced the server backend.

The https and http protocols have two paths available.  The documented
path is "git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/elpa.git";
which is documented here.  Notice the /git/ in the documentation
versus /r/ from your example.

https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs

The https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/elpa.git path uses the
git-http-backend utility from the upstream git suite.  That's the
smart backend protocol.  If you use the smart protocol then you should
get fast git clones and other interactions.

The path you cited is https://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/elpa.git
which is the raw file access path.  Additionally there is also the
rsync:// protocol access to the repositories.  As far as I know those
paths are not actually documented anywhere but have existed since the
beginning.  These provide access to the internal structure such as the
config file, hooks, and other files that would not otherwise be
visible.  The raw file access allows read-only access to those files.

Since git:// using git-daemon is a smart git protocol I doubt that
https:// using git-http-backend also a smart git protocol from the
same source will be any different.  I would guess that you are using a
new client which is using options newer than the server side software.
But please try it anyway.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110932>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.nongnu.org/