screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #64378] screen manpage has misleading bash example

From: anonymous
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #64378] screen manpage has misleading bash example
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 14:40:46 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
                 Release: 4.9.0
         Discussion Lock: Any
           Fixed Release: None
         Planned Release: None
           Work Required: None

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Mon 03 Jul 2023 06:40:44 PM UTC By: Anonymous
Bug fixed in Ubuntu, discussion at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/screen/+bug/1986839
where they asked me to submit the bug upstream.  Patch is included there as
well; savannah will not let me attach diff here.

Quoted from that linked page:

The screen(1) page in version 4.09.00 describes the 'shell' command/option
ending with

   [...] If the command begins with a '-' character, the shell
   will be started as a login-shell. Typical shells do only
   minimal initialization when not started as a login-shell.
   E.g. Bash will not read your ~/.bashrc unless it is a login-shell.

This is incorrect and misleading. According to the bash(1) page, it only looks
for ~/.bash_profile (and similar files) for a login shell, but looks for
~/.bashrc when "an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started".

Obviously minor priority, but should be trivial to fix since it's just an
example filename.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?64378>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/